Nelson To Mapua Day Adventure
This one day cycle adventure takes in some of the most stunning scenery on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail. There are many fun stops along the way with award winning wineries, craft breweries, and the World of Wearable Art museum to name a few.
Cycle along the old rail route from Nelson City to Richmond then turn onto the picturesque Coastal Route to Rabbit Island and Mapua. This is all grade one riding (easy) where a moderate fitness level is required. A short ride on the Mapua Ferry has you landing on the Mapua Wharf where the vibe and atmosphere is very relaxing.
This is also a great day out for the whole family.
1 Day - Nelson City to Mapua - Distance: 32kms - Meals: Available along the Trail (own cost)
Your adventure starts at our base in Nelson where you will be fitted to your bikes and briefed on your tour. From here you will start your cycle ride to Mapua on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail. The Nelson Depot opens at 9:00am and your departure time is flexible. As of 1st Dec 2017 the Trail Hopper transport leaves Mapua at 1:30pm and 6:00pm, so you can plan your day around these departures. NB - Prior to this date transport will be arranged on an individual basis or requirement.
You may choose to explore Nelson City before following the blue Great Taste Trail markers and heading south out to the seaside village of Mapua. Along the way, take in the ‘World of Wearable Art’ (WOW) exhibition then enjoy the atmosphere of the Honest Lawyer, a country style pub. There are also many craft breweries and wineries to sample along the way.
Continue on the Trail, take the coastal route and enjoy the views from the coastal boardwalks of the Waimea Estuary and fertile farmland (home to a range of internationally significant bird species including the white heron). Cross the spectacular Waimea Swing Bridge then on to Rabbit Island. Take a swim in a freshwater swimming hole or the warm sea waters and sandy beaches of Rabbit Island.
The trail takes you along the main beach of Rabbit Island where you will come to the Ferry landing. A short trip across the channel on the iconic Mapua Ferry lands you at the Mapua Wharf.
Here you can enjoy the buzzing atmosphere of galleries, studios, restaurants, cafes, shops and the Golden Bear Boutique Brewery. We recommend you spend most of the day exploring, then relaxing for dinner on the Mapua Wharf before jumping on the Trail Hopper transport and returning to Nelson.
This tour can be done in reverse. Being dropped out at Mapua and cycling back to Nelson. Arriving at Mapua around 1015 - cycling back to Nelson before 1600.
- 29th April 2018 – 01 Oct 2018 Weekends, Public and School Holidays ONLY - Return Transport at 1630
- NOTE 29th April 2018 - 01 Oct 2018: The last Ferry is at 1600
- 01 Oct 2018 - April 2019 - Everyday
- (NB: not available on Christmas day)
- Cycle equipment which includes trail comfort bike, helmet, repair kit, panniers or carrier bag, odometer and trail documentation
- Bottled water / Souvenir Map
- Trail Hopper Transport: Mapua Wharf to Nelson
- Mapua Ferry crossing NOTE: Last Ferry now 1600
Optional Add On’s:
- Transport from Nelson Airport (or accommodation) to Nelson City - POA
- Enjoy this fantastic fun day out on our high end E-Bikes (electric)!! (NB: extra $50 per person, no children’s e Bikes available)
Family (2 Adults, 2 Children) = NZD$319.00